There’s nothing better than hearty pub grub so when Dr W and I were invited down to Bacchus Bar in Birmingham to check out their new Best of British Menu, we were rather excited!
Nicholson’s Pubs are a staple in the pub world, opening their first in 1873 they know a thing or two about pubs! Dr W and I are frequent visitors to a few of their pubs in London and Manchester. Now we’ve moved up to Birmingham we were quite happy to discover we could continue visiting at Bacchus Bar, a quirky pub situated in one of Birmingham’s oldest buildings.
We like Nicholson’s Pubs as they serve quality food, and this March through to the end of April they’ll be proudly showcasing the Great British pub experience. From British dishes like their speciality pies, sausages and fish and chips, all served alongside your favourite British drinks. The gin menu is also brilliant, with a wide range of dry to botanical gins. I was very happy with a Sipsmith and Tonic, the perfect drink to accompany my dinner!
We decided to go for the Nicholson’s Sharer to start. A plate piled high with home-made Scotch egg (perfectly gooey yolk), sweet chilli chicken skewers (very moreish), ale-glazed Gloucester Old Spot sausages (hard to share) and a Davidstow rarebit fondue (Dr W didn’t share this very well!!) It also came with a golden beetroot piccalilli (which I don’t usually like but this was very tasty), some wonderfully warmed artisan sourdough bread and potato crisps. This sharer was very filling for two, I would maybe suggest sharing with a couple more people… It was a good thing I’d had a light lunch!
We were (thankfully) given a bit of time between starter and main! I went for the Gloucester Old Spot Sausages. These are served on a bed of creamy mashed potato and topped with hand-battered onion rings (perfectly crisp) and a very rich gravy. I love sausages and mash, so this was perfect. The only disappointment, a distinct lack of peas, they aren’t even offered as a side! The peas would’ve taken the edge off the very rich mash and gravy. Don’t get me wrong it was very tasty, it was just there was a lot of it with no veg!
Dr W picked the Ale Glazed Shropshire Chicken. This was served with triple-cooked chips, lemon aioli and crunchy slaw. Dr W was impressed with the chips, I was only allowed one he enjoyed them so much. He was a little disappointed that the chicken was a little dry in places, but overall he did find it tasty. He loved the lemon aioli because it was a bit different.
Last but not least, Dr W picked the Belgian Chocolate Brownie. I was too full, so went for a cuppa instead (and a bit of the Brownie, for review purposes!) This was a wonderfully rich and luxurious brownie, which is served warm with a vanilla pod ice cream. It was very tasty, I would’ve definitely struggled to enjoy my own full portion of dessert after the first two courses, but Dr W was very happy to polish this off!
Overall + Giveaway!
Overall the service at Bacchus Bar was fantastic, we were well looked after but also given time to catch up. Date night’s are very important to Dr W and I so this was good. Whilst I do think there could’ve been a few more veggie sides available and Dr W’s chicken was a little dry, all in all it was still very tasty. We were impressed with the menu options as well as the drink options. So if you want to win £50 to spend at Bacchus in Birmingham, all you have to do is follow the instructions on this tweet.
Have you been to a Nicholson’s Pub before? Have you checked out Bacchus Bar in Birmingham? Would you visit? Let me know in the comments,
P.S. Terms and conditions for the competition:
- There is one prize of one £50 gift voucher for Bacchus Bar, Birmingham
- Entrance is by following @MissPond and @NicholsonsPubs with one retweet of the competition Pinned Tweet
- Anyone found to be creating multiple accounts for entrance will be disqualified
- No mention retweets will count
- The prize is non-transferable and no cash alternative is offered
- Open to UK residents only and must be aged 18 and over
- The competition closing date for entries is midnight on 8 May 2017
- The winner will be drawn on 9 May 2017
- One entry per person and all entries will be checked and verified
- The winner will be chosen by MissPond and will be contacted directly on Twitter
- If the winner does not respond within 28 days a new winner will be drawn
- By entering this competition participants consent to their full name and address being available by request from MissPond.com
- The prize will be sent within 28 days of the PR’s receipt of the winner’s address
- MissPond reserves the right to amend or withdraw the competition at any time without notice or liability
- Entry to this competition confirms that participants have read, understood and agree to be bound by these Terms and Conditions
P.P.S. We were given a voucher towards our meal at Bacchus Bar from Nicholson’s Pubs. As ever all words, photos and opinions are my own.
P.P.P.S. Bacchus Bar is located at Burlington Arcade, New St, Birmingham B2 4JH.