When life gives you freeze dried strawberries, you make cake right?! In celebration of summer, the heatwave and Wimbledon (well done Djokovic!) I got baking. Today I’m sharing my Strawberries and Cream Tray Bake recipe!
This week was my turn for bake club at work and I really couldn’t not do something summery. Years ago (when I first started blogging) I made these Strawberries and Cream Cupcakes. But I remember the cake with the fresh strawbs being a bit damp and they didn’t rise well. This time I’ve used freeze dried strawberries that I got at Waitrose. They are a little expensive, but totally worth it to stop from making a gloopy cake. Instead it made a wonderfully light fluffy Strawberries and Cream Tray Bake.
- 225g Softened unsalted butter
- 225g Caster sugar
- 250g Self raising flour, sieved
- 1 tsp Vanilla bean paste
- 4 Eggs
- 7g Freeze dried strawberries
- 250g Icing sugar, sieved
- 200ml Whipping cream
- 2 tbsp Water
- Strawberry jam
- Heat your oven to 170C fan/180C. Line a 21" x 27" brownie tin with parchment.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Then add the vanilla bean paste and 2 tbsp of the already measured out flour.
- Start beating (I used my kMix to make the cake) and each egg individually.
- Fold in the flour and 2/3 of the freeze dried strawberries.
- Pour the mixture into the tin and put in the oven for 30 minutes. Or until a skewer comes out piping hot/clean.
- Leave to cool for a bit, then remove from the tin and allow to cook fully.
- Whip the cream and 50g of the sieved icing sugar until stiff peaks form.
- Mix 2 tbsp of water with the leftover 200g icing sugar (add more water if it doesn't mix well - just be careful not to make too runny).
- Slice the cake in half (when completely cool). Spread jam on one half then layer the cream on top. Put the cake together, then cover in the icing. Sprinkle over the remaining freeze dried strawberries!
- Enjoy on a lovely summers day in the garden with a glass of fizz or a cuppa!
This cake is best served cool from the fridge with a cuppa. But if it were a special occasion, I don’t see why a glass of fizz wouldn’t work well with it! Would you bake my latest summery Strawberries and Cream Tray Bake? Let me know in the comments,