Halloween is around the corner, and I’ve been getting in the spirit of things with Halloween inspired food. Today I’m sharing my Vampire Blood Cupcakes Recipe.
These cupcakes are super easy to make and great fun to decorate, even for those lacking in the icing skills (like me). I really enjoyed making them and they’ve gone down a treat with friends and family. I love how cupcakes are so easy to style and theme for an occasion!
- 125g Unsalted butter
- 200g Dark brown sugar
- 2 Large eggs, beaten
- 100g Natural yogurt or buttermilk
- 200 Self raising flour, sieved
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla bean paste
- 100g Unsalted butter
- 2tbsp Milk
- 200g Icing sugar, sieved
- Raspberry syrup to drizzle over the icing
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan, put 12 cupcake cases in the cupcake tin.
- Melt the butter in a pan, take off the heat and cool a little. Stir in the vanilla bean paste and sugar until it has dissolved into the butter.
- Beat in the eggs to the mixture, then fold in the flour.
- Use the two spoon method to put the mixture into the cases.
- Bake for 18-20min until cooked through and golden on top.
- Allow to cool fully, make the buttercream during this time.
- Beat the butter until soft, add in half the icing sugar and beat until smooth. Add in the milk and stir until mixed, then mix in the second half of the icing sugar until smooth.
- Pipe the butter cream over the cakes in a swirl using a star nozzle. Drizzle raspberry syrup over the top for a Vampire feel to the cakes.
- Add in colour to the icing if you want, green would look super spooky!
I thought the brown sugar would be a bit heavy for cupcakes, but they rose a treat. The addition of yogurt makes the sponge bouncy and wonderfully moreish. I’m quite chuffed with how they turned out and I don’t think I’ll fear the cupcake anymore. If you’re looking for something more savoury for Halloween check out my Spooky Chilli Filled Potato Skins recipe!
Are you baking anything for Halloween? What’s your favourite Halloween recipe? Let me know in the comments,