I saw this recipe on Sunday Brunch last weekend. I’d been craving cauliflower cheese for a while and this just sealed it’s place in this weeks meal plan. I have to admit the original recipe by Gizzi Erksine is slightly altered, I couldn’t get baby cauliflower and neither could I be bothered to make the fried shallots. BUT. The dish was still absolutely delicious and Gizzi is right, you don’t get that nasty cauliflower smell by making it this way! Mr W had made a beautiful beef stew and it was the most amazing accompaniment to his dish.
- 90g butter
- Large cauliflower chopped into florets
- 40g plain flour
- 600ml whole milk
- 1tsp English mustard powder
- Generous pinch of black pepper (ground)
- 80g cheddar cheese, grated
- 80g parmesan, grated
- Pre heat the oven to 220C, rub the cauliflower florets with 50g of the butter. Place in to the oven and roast for 20 minutes or until golden brown
- During this time make a white sauce, heat the remaining butter in a pan on the hob until bubbly and golden, add in the flour and form a roux. Then whisk in the milk little by little until all is added- do not worry if your sauce is thin here! Add in the ground pepper and mustard and leave to simmer for 10-15 minutes or until thick.
- Take the sauce off the heat, now stir in 3/4 of the cheese into the sauce until well combined.
- Remove the cauliflower from the oven, pour the sauce all over and then finish by sprinkling the remaining cheese over the top.
- Put the cauliflower cheese back in the oven for 10-15 minutes until golden brown and bubbling.
- Devour with beef stew, meat pie, roast dinner or if you’re feeling naughty devour the lot as a main! Mr W could not get enough 🙂
Let me know if you give it a go,