With a few misty mornings and many chilly evenings, I think we can officially call it Autumn now. Mr W decided we would head to our local butchers so we could buy some game to make a stew and I would make Dauphinoise Potatoes to go with.
Dauphinoise Potatoes may not seem to be the healthiest of recipes, BUT, you can adapt them to be a bit healthier. The stew this accompanied is hearty and the game we used was lean and we added lots of extra veggies. We’ve already shared Mr W’s Stew Recipe and obviously you don’t have to use game. Beef or lamb will do.
For the recipe I used the wonderful Mariola Potatoes from Albert Bartlett. These potatoes have a wonderful creamy texture and delicious buttery taste. They have a smooth yellow skin, and are great for baking, mashing and roasting. Perfect as an accompaniment to your favourite meat or vegetarian dishes, the Mariola is a great all round potato variety.
- 6 Large Mariola potatoes
- 500ml Semi-skimmed milk
- 500ml Low fat creme fraiche
- 4 Cloves of garlic
- 200g Gryere
- Ground pepper, to season
- 1 tbsp Djon mustard
- Preheat the oven to 160C (fan)/180C.
- Heat the milk and creme friache on the pan. Bring to a gentle simmer on a low heat.
- Add in the garlic cloves, mustard and pepper to season.
- Peal the Mariola potatoes and slice thinly. Put into the mixture on the pan and cook gently for 10 minutes or so.
- Drain the potatoes (keep the milk mixture!!!) so you can arrange them in an oven proof dish.
- Remove the garlic from the milk mixture then pour over the potatoes.
- Sprinkle cheese over the top.
- Pop in the oven for 1 hour 30 mins. Serve when golden and the mixture has thickened.
Overall this was a super tasty dish that didn’t feel as naughty as it could’ve! What are your favourite comforting potato recipes? Let me know in the comments,
P.S. Post in collaboration with Albert Bartlett Potatoes. As ever all photos, words and opinions are my own.