Now whilst Dr W and I often try to have a regular date night that involves going out, our budgets don’t often stick to this. So when Le Petit Ballon sent us a wine subscription box, we decided to have a date night in.
We were sent one bottle of white and one bottle of red. The Le Petit Ballon subscription is super handy because they send you tasting notes to go with your wine and also recommend dishes for you to go with. The wines and notes are created by Master Sommelier Jean-Michel Deluc.
Because of the warm weather we’ve been having, I popped our bottle of white into the fridge (stay tuned for a post on our red wine soon). The Chateau Le Grans Verdus “Expression” Sauvignon Blanc was billed as a fruity, quite sweet Sauv compared to New World Sauvs I’ve tried. It was just that as well, sweet on the nose and a fruity hit. One of the suggested dishes was tempura fish. Now it was too hot for that, so I made a Cod with Cheese and Tomato Crust. A simple recipe but perfect for a night in together and perfect with the wine as well.
- 2 Fillets of Cod
- 80g Panko breadcrumbs
- 80g Cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 Tomatoes, sliced
- 300g New potato, sliced
- 200g Peas
- 200g Green Beans
- Olive oil
- Salt and Pepper
- Heat the oven to 200C/190C fan.
- Put your cod fillets down in an oven proof dish, cover with a good splash of olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Put the cut up potatoes in another dish and drizzle with oil, season with salt and pepper too.
- Put the slices of tomato on to the top of the cod. Mix the breadcrumbs and cheese then place over the top of the tomato/cod so it's completely covered.
- Pop the cod and potatoes in the oven for 20 mins.
- Cook your green veg as per packet instructions just before the fish and potatoes are cooked.
- Serve up with a large glass of white wine to wash it down with! Enjoy!
With the Le Petit Ballon subscription (from £24.90 per month) you get 2 bottles of wine selected by their master sommelier, tasting notes for each of the bottles, information on how to serve the wine and what foods pair with the wine. You also get the monthly gazette, a wine magazine with interesting stories about our winemakers, wine tips and special features, access to discounts on all single bottles of wine in the online store, access to exclusive flash sales and tasting videos.
Have you tried a wine subscription service? What do you think of what Le Petit Ballon offer? Would you make my fish dish? Let me know in the comments,
P.S. Thanks to Le Petit Ballon for the wine to try out. As ever all words, photos and opinions my own.