Dr W turns 30 this week, and the only way to celebrate this is by embracing a sickening amount of chocolate and caramel. (Well his way). After making these I thought I couldn’t not share my Salted Caramel Brownies recipe with you.
These Salted Caramel Brownies are so simple to make. I mean I completely cheated with the salted caramel. But you don’t have too, there are salted caramel sauce recipes, I just
don’t have time for that couldn’t be bothered. FYI I didn’t cheat with the brownies or buttercream though.
- 185g Unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing
- 150g 70% Dark chocolate
- 40g Milk chocolate
- 85g Plain flour (sieved)
- 40g Cocoa powder (sieved)
- 3 Large eggs, beaten
- 275g Light brown sugar
- 175g Icing sugar (sieved)
- 1 tbsp Cocoa powder (sieved)
- 75g Butter (softened to room temp and chopped into cubes)
- 2 tbsp Milk
- 1 tsp Vanilla essence
- Caramel sauce
- Chocolate sprinkles
- Heat the oven to 180C or 160C fan. Line a brownie tin with greaseproof paper.
- Melt the butter and chocolate on a pan over a low heat. Then leave to cool. Beat the egg and sugar until frothy.
- Fold in the melted chocolate to the egg mixture, then fold in the flour/cocoa powder. Pour into the brownie tin and put into the oven. Bake for 25 minutes, until a papery crust forms on top. Remove from the oven and leave to cool completely (overnight if possible).
- Beat the butter in a bowl until creamy and smooth. Then pour in the vanilla essence and 1/3 of the sieved icing sugar and cocoa. Beat until smooth. Add in the next 1/3 and a tbsp of milk. Beat until smooth. Repeat again one last time.
- Spread the butter cream over the top of the cooled brownies and leave for an hour.
- Gently heat up your caramel sauce and pour over the top, adding sprinkles as you wish!
- Add in 75-100g of your chosen favourite treat (honey comb/choc chips/chopped up chocolate bars) and forgo the topping for easier brownies without the faff of decoration.
This brownie recipe is my go too, I didn’t add any thing in, but 75-100g of your chosen treat stirred in (honey comb/oreos/choc chips) would be fine in this recipe if you wanted. You can do any topping or even add the brownie mixture to a pre-baked cookie dough layer (yum!) It really is very easy to alter and make it your own.
Have you made Salted Caramel Brownies before? What’s your favourite thing to add into brownies? Let me know in the comments,