Camping holidays have long been a staple in my life. From grown up glamping to a fortnight on a campsite as a kid, I’ve done it and quite enjoy it! I also quite enjoy a bit of campfire cooking.
When you go away on long camping trips or off for a weekend of glamping it’s definitely wise to pack a mini kitchen so you can cook a nutritious dinner. Nights on end of pasta from a packet or dinner from a tin probably aren’t a good idea. Simply Hike have a range of camping equipment to help you with your trip. Take a mini pop up table, camping stove and a sharp knife and you’re all set for your trip.
- 8 Sausages
- 2 Peppers, sliced
- 1-2 Red Onions
- 1 Pack of cherry tomatoes
- 2 Courgettes, cut into thin half moons
- 1-2 Packets of pre cooked rice, we used whole grain spicy pilau rice
- Pepper and Salt to season
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- Bottle of water that you can tip little bits of water in from
- Put the sausages a heavy bottomed pan with oil, start to cook on a medium heat on your camping stove, or a little further out of your campfire, you don't want things to burn.
- Prep your veg then toss in with the sausages, turn the heat down to as low as you can (or keep out of the main heat of your campfire) and simmer for 10-15 mins. You can add a few splashes of water if you think things are sticking.
- Pop the packet rice in for another 3-5 mins, a couple more splashes of water, grind in some pepper and salt.
- Serve in mess tins for that authentic camping experience!
- This recipe can be easily made vegetarian/vegan, just change the sausages!
This is such an easy recipe to make, it’s great for camping but also brilliant for mid week meals! Are you a fan of camping? What’s your go too camping trip recipe? Let me know in the comments,
P.S. Post in collaboration with Simply Hike. As ever all words, opinions and photos are my own.