With all this wonderful weather going on, Dr W and I have been making a lot of summery food. My Spicy Prawn Tacos are the perfect mid week meal to share al fresco in the garden. Or in our case at the table with the French doors wide open.
There’s something about tacos and sharing style food in the summer. I think it’s because it’s quite close to a picnic! This recipe is fairly simple, you need to make the tomato sauce ahead of the prawns as they don’t take so long to cook. To go with just heat up the refried beans and chop up the avocado ready to serve as well. Don’t forget to warm your taco shells or tortillas through as well.
- 5 tomatos, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- Hot sauce (I used my home made chocolate habanero sauce)
- 1 white onion, diced
- 250g prawns
- 1 avocado, chopped up
- 1 can of refried beans
- 8 corn tortillas
- Cook the onions in a pan with some oil on a medium heat until soft.
- Then add the garlic and half of the fresh chopped tomatoes. Stir then bring to a gentle simmer and add the hot sauce (add amount based on how spicy you like it) and 100ml water.
- Bubble for 10 mins. add more water if you need. When done, put to one side to cool. When cool (I did this just before serving) blend in a food processor until smooth. Then put in a bowl with the other taco building ingredients.
- Soften onion in a frying pan with a little oil, then add the remainder of the fresh tomatos and gently simmer. Add the prawns in and cook until the prawns are cooked through.
- Build your tacos with all the wonderful ingredients you have! Add extra hot sauce if you wish.
We really enjoyed our mid-week taco evening. They were delicious and spicy, we fought over the last few prawns as they were just so tasty! Note: refried beans don’t photograph well at all do they?! Apologies!
So are you a fan of tacos? Would you give my Spicy Prawn Tacos a go? Let me know in the comments,