Every year in the Pond-Watson household we get together with some friends to celebrate Pancake Day. This year we have a new gadget to play with thanks to Breville and Debenhams, so Mr W and I decided to give it a go before the day itself.
We picked some fillings ideas (all below) and got making. I have included my simple recipe for pancakes but there are loads out there if you just google! I definitely recommend resting your batter before you make your pancakes as it tends to spread more easily on the pan and you get a much lighter pancake. Although it was rather different using the Breville Crepe Maker! The roller you use to spread the batter is quite difficult to use at first (or maybe it’s just me?!) but after a couple of attempts I had it nailed. We did make a bit of a mess, but I don’t think we have ever not done on pancake day!
Basic Pancakes Recipe
- 120g Plain flour, sieved (VIP- no lumps!)
- 90 ml Water
- 210 ml Milk
- 2 Large eggs, beaten
- Whisk the eggs and flour together, when a ‘dough’ begins to form start gradually adding the milk.
- Keep whisking the batter mix until it as smooth as possible.
- Leave to stand in the fridge for at least 30 minutes, this allows the lumps to sink and a lighter batter to form.
- At this point prep your fillings – see my ideas below* – cut things up, grate your cheese, roast some tomatoes, cook some onions etc!
- Cook on level 3 on the Breville Crepe Maker or a medium heat in a non-stick crepe pan, make sure they are hot before you start. Use a wipe of oil on both to stop from sticking.
- Put a ladle full of pancake mix on the pan and spread out with a roller or just by tilting the pan around, make sure it is evenly spread.
- Let one side cook, then flip and put your filling on the cooked side on one half and allow to start melting, then fold over.
*Fillings for Your Pancakes
We tend to do a batch of savoury pancakes for mains on Pancake Day then finish with the usual chocolatey ones. None of us have ever been in to the traditional lemon and sugar kind… I find it so bleh! But cheese definitely wins in our household!! Mr W and I did some experimenting for you and here are our top three wonderful savoury pancake ideas that you should try out…
Goats Cheese, Spinach and Chutney Pancakes
Sausage, Roast Tomato and Spicy Cheddar Pancakes
Meatballs, Tomato Sauce and Blue Cheese Pancakes (A Mr W Special)
So what are you waiting for, get gorging on pancakes already! Now we have a pancake maker I shall be eating them for dinner on more than just one day a year I reckon. If you want to get your own pancake maker try having a look here.
What are you doing for pancake this year? What’s your favourite filling- sweet or savoury? Let me know in the comments,
P.S. * Thanks to Debenhams and Breville for our awesome pancake maker!